Friday 8 April 2011

'Dipity' Do da!

Well, I had a weee tinker with 'Dipity' which enables the user to create a timeline of events ie. a murder, a moment in history etc.  Once again I tried to use my Dinosaur theme to create a timeline of their history:


Triassic, Jurassic and Cretaceous


http://www.dipity.com/Stumey/Diggin-the-Dinosaurs/


Why Dipity?

When I did history at school it was all about reading textbooks, creating presentations using pictures glued to cardboard and slowly putting the rest of the class to sleep.

Dipity transforms the mundane history lesson into something that students can connect with., which I think would be invaluable in the classroom. This brings me to the interesting article from earlier in this course, Prensky's 'Digital Natives, Digital Immigrants'.  If we want to 'engage' students and not 'enrage' them, we need to rethink our pedagogy, and Dipity provides a platform to present a history in todays 'native' language.

No comments:

Post a Comment